The Scribbly gum tree; Eucalyptus haemastoma, Eucalyptus racemosa and Eucalyptus rossii are found throughout New South Wales coastal plains and hills in the Sydney region.
These Eucalypts are easily identifiable by the graphic scribbles created under their smooth yellow-grey bark by the larva of the Ogmograptis racemosa scribbly gum moth caterpillars.
The gum-tree stands by the spring.
I peeled its splitting bark
and found the written track
of a life I could not read.
From A Human Pattern: Selected Poems by Judith Wright.
The Scribbly Gum Suites is part of a larger series of musical compositions which enlist simple biological agents in a co-creative process which intentionally surrenders human agency. These co-creative bio-works range from genetic encoding of musical scores, through to insect modified sheet-music (see Co-composition and De-composition).
After collecting multiple fragments of fallen Scribbly Gum bark the traces of the moth larvae were transposed onto the paper roll of a thirty note music box, compiled and finally rendered as a short movie illustrating each of the sixteen bark pieces.
The sixteen Scribby Gum fragments have been mounted as a visual display and are accompanied by a QR code that gives viewers access to the musical composition.
A mechanical music box designed to play a thirty note range.
- Sonus Maris; the concert!
- Sonique; the life and art of Dr Sonique (the Graphic Novel)
- Sonus Maris_V2
- The Past is our Future; The Future is our Past.
- Sounds and Sweet Airs
- Freeze Frame
- Scribbly Gum Suites
- Virtual talking in 2020
- Tracing Silence; Ecocide and Omnicide.
- The Sound of Place; Environmental Artworks at Bundanon.
- Co-Composition and De-Composition Biological agency as a compositional tool.
- Culturescape:An Ecology of Bundanon
- Sonus Maris
- A Different Engine
- CrayVox Book
- Oratorio Photo Essay
- The Oratorio for a Million Souls
- Two Islands
- The Deluge Ark(ive)
- A Dissimulation of Birds
- The Biological Mixer
- Heavy Metal
- CultCult – audio illumination from the Ocean
- BioLogging Retrofit
- BioPods_V2 The Nebuchadnezzar Suite
- Eine Kleine GeneMusiK
- Songs from the UnderWorld_v3
- Architecture for Bees; Bees for Architecture
- Breathless; Take a Deep Breath
- Public Art concepts
- Ars Memoriae Mexicana
- Float like a Butterfly; Sting like a Bee
- Supereste ut Pugnatis (Pugnatis) ut Supereste
- Songs from the UnderWorld_V2
- WYSSA – All my love darling
- Songs from the UnderWorld
- Milk and Honey
- EcoLocated: Art Science and the Environment.
- Weeping Willow
- Bio_Logging and Under the IceCap
- New Host_V6
- Law of the Tongue
- New York Drawings
- Zephyr II
- Run Silent Run Deep
- Sculpture in the Vineyards
- WA Marine Facility ~ Ondes
- Quint de Loup II
- The Wireless House
- Talking Stick
- Syren for Port Jackson
- Factory Spirit.
- What Survives
- KellerRadioActive at IASKA
- Magnus Opus
- Preaching to the Converter
- Virtual Spirit
- AudioNomad + Syren
- Echigo Tsumari
- An Unrequited Place
- Voyages from Eden to Utopia; Hercules
- The Transit of Venus
- A Symphony for Other Cultures
- The Lament
- Sonic Landscapes
- Siren Song
- Ship to Shore
- Re-Entry Vehicle; Natural Science in the Spirit World
- Naughty Apartment
- Mute in TalkTown; the sweet warm breath of science