Everything`s nice with American rice” was installed in Matsudai, Japan as part of the Echigo-Tsumari Trienniale 2003.
Fermentation Laboratory, Agricultural equipment, Rice.
Laboratory ~10m x 6m x 3m.
Rice and art have a strong bond in common, both are essential to our well being, both sustain and nourish us in different ways!
The title of this project, ‘Everything’s Nice with American Rice’ is an ironic reference to a 1960’s advertising slogan that formed part of a campaign by the US food industry to penetrate and dominate global food markets.
‘Everything’s Nice With American Rice’ takes a playful but critical view of the globalised trade in commodities by proposing a radical “green” solution to the so called free-trade agreements which promote the importation American rice into the Japanese rice economy.
This project proposes an interlocking triangle whereby imported rice is converted into “Bio-fuel” (ethanol) that, in turn is used to power local rice cultivating equipment to produce Japanese rice, whilst at the same time reducing the reliance upon imported fuel oil.
A small shift in thinking, a modest action, but one, which illustrates the possibility of re-working the gridlock of multi-national economics with a local version of freedom of choice and direct action that combines aesthetics and economics!
Geo-Politics – Global/Local
It is both necessary and possible to move away from a global economy dominated by non-renewable resources and to creatively develop local systems that are sustainable, ethical and economically viable.
Bio-Mass = Bio-Energy
Our food provides us with energy. In particular, foods such as rice are high in carbohydrates that are readily converted to sugars. We can also think of this energy source as fuel, able to power tools and vehicles. Bio-Energy sources such as solar power and Bio-Fuels are sympathetic to the natural and agricultural world and do not result in the environmental, economic, political and military disasters associated with the oil industry.
Ultimately all biological energy comes from the Sun and plant systems are extraordinarily efficient at converting solar radiation. Fossil fuels, which are extracted from a finite reserve of ‘condensed’ plant energy, are being depleted at an alarming rate, principally to serve the industrial expansion of a limited number of countries. By contrast, Bio-Fuel systems can be designed to maintain a sustainable level of energy, balancing input and output in the agricultural system.
© Dr Nigel Helyer 2003.
- Virtual talking in 2020
- Tracing Silence; Ecocide and Omnicide.
- The Sound of Place; Environmental Artworks at Bundanon.
- Co-Composition and De-Composition Biological agency as a compositional tool.
- Sonus Maris
- A Different Engine
- CrayVox Book
- Oratorio Photo Essay
- Oratorio and Heavy Metal
- The Oratorio for a Million Souls
- Two Islands
- The Deluge Ark(ive)
- A Dissimulation of Birds
- The Biological Mixer
- Heavy Metal
- CultCult – audio illumination from the Ocean
- BioLogging Retrofit
- BioPods_V2 The Nebuchadnezzar Suite
- Eine Kleine GeneMusiK
- Songs from the UnderWorld_v3
- Architecture for Bees; Bees for Architecture
- Breathless; Take a Deep Breath
- Public Art concepts
- Ars Memoriae Mexicana
- Float like a Butterfly; Sting like a Bee
- Supereste ut Pugnatis (Pugnatis) ut Supereste
- Songs from the UnderWorld_V2
- WYSSA – All my love darling
- Songs from the UnderWorld
- Milk and Honey
- EcoLocated: Art Science and the Environment.
- Weeping Willow
- Bio_Logging and Under the IceCap
- New Host_V6
- Law of the Tongue
- New York Drawings
- Zephyr II
- Run Silent Run Deep
- Sculpture in the Vineyards
- WA Marine Facility ~ Ondes
- Quint de Loup II
- The Wireless House
- Talking Stick
- Syren for Port Jackson
- Factory Spirit.
- What Survives
- KellerRadioActive at IASKA
- Magnus Opus
- Preaching to the Converter
- Virtual Spirit
- AudioNomad + Syren
- Echigo Tsumari
- An Unrequited Place
- Voyages from Eden to Utopia; Hercules
- The Transit of Venus
- A Symphony for Other Cultures
- The Lament
- Sonic Landscapes
- Siren Song
- Ship to Shore
- Re-Entry Vehicle; Natural Science in the Spirit World
- Naughty Apartment
- Mute in TalkTown; the sweet warm breath of science
- La Zona del Silencio
- Everything’s Nice with American Rice
- Silent Forest