Annandale Galleries, Sydney 1993.
Voltaic circuit in x21 Scientific Flasks, electro-magnet, Statuette of Ganesha, a Hindu deity.
Support structure, Aluminium and yacht wire, x2 Aluminium stepladders, framed objects.
13m x 4.5m x 4.5m.
My approach to the sonic domain has always been informed by a Sculptor’s perspective, emphasising the experiential and phenomenological nature of sound. In this way “sound-events” are indexically linked to the dynamic, material systems, which generate them, as well as to the architectures and environments, which contain and propagate them. The work “Aura” would appear to disqualify itself from the definition “Sound-Sculpture” by virtue of its apparent “muteness”.
The principal function of the work is however to manifest an “aura” – a low energy electro-magnetic field. The primitive Voltaic cells slowly react to generate a current, which flows through the proto-typical torus forms – this crude device resonates in an infinitesimal manner. Thus in its own way, the work “sings”.
Our principal oversight is the arrogant demand that nature exists by virtue of the proof of our own sense organs. Like infants we carelessly assume that all events, which we cannot perceive, do not exist. What the ear fails to “hear” is therefore mute.
My proposal runs contrary to this conventional wisdom – by claiming works (such as “Aura”) are first and foremost “Sound-Sculptures”, I wish to recognise the impalpable resonance which inhabits the circuits of their imperceptible electro-chemical lives. They are “Sound-Sculptures” which for us are simply inaudible.
Nigel Helyer 1993
- Virtual talking in 2020
- Tracing Silence; Ecocide and Omnicide.
- The Sound of Place; Environmental Artworks at Bundanon.
- Co-Composition and De-Composition Biological agency as a compositional tool.
- Sonus Maris
- A Different Engine
- Oratorio Photo Essay
- The Oratorio for a Million Souls
- Two Islands
- The Deluge Ark(ive)
- A Dissimulation of Birds
- The Biological Mixer
- Heavy Metal
- CultCult – audio illumination from the Ocean
- BioLogging Retrofit
- BioPods_V2 The Nebuchadnezzar Suite
- Eine Kleine GeneMusiK
- Songs from the UnderWorld_v3
- Architecture for Bees; Bees for Architecture
- Breathless; Take a Deep Breath
- Public Art concepts
- Ars Memoriae Mexicana
- Float like a Butterfly; Sting like a Bee
- Supereste ut Pugnatis (Pugnatis) ut Supereste
- Songs from the UnderWorld_V2
- WYSSA – All my love darling
- Songs from the UnderWorld
- Milk and Honey
- EcoLocated: Art Science and the Environment.
- Weeping Willow
- Bio_Logging and Under the IceCap
- New Host_V6
- Law of the Tongue
- New York Drawings
- Zephyr II
- Run Silent Run Deep
- Sculpture in the Vineyards
- WA Marine Facility ~ Ondes
- Quint de Loup II
- The Wireless House
- Talking Stick
- Syren for Port Jackson
- Factory Spirit.
- What Survives
- KellerRadioActive at IASKA
- Magnus Opus
- Preaching to the Converter
- Virtual Spirit
- AudioNomad + Syren
- An Unrequited Place
- Voyages from Eden to Utopia; Hercules
- The Transit of Venus
- A Symphony for Other Cultures
- The Lament
- Sonic Landscapes
- Siren Song
- Ship to Shore
- Re-Entry Vehicle; Natural Science in the Spirit World
- Naughty Apartment
- Mute in TalkTown; the sweet warm breath of science
- La Zona del Silencio
- Everything’s Nice with American Rice
- Silent Forest
- Dual-Nature (Ebb and Flow).
- Die Melodie der Welt; Bringing Home the Bacon