Nigel has recently been an Artist in Residence at The Marine Mammal Laboratory (Tropical Marine Science Institute) of the National University of Singapore; developing a project for ISEA2008 exhibited at the National Museum of Singapore, July ~ August 2008.
Interactive audio cartography, driving a 12.2 immersive speaker rig.
Hydrophone location – Floating fish farm near Palau Ubin
Short indicative mix, the project has thousands of audio and image files capable of being mixed on the fly and dynamically spatialised.
The title is an ironic reference to the motto of submarine captains in WWII who knew that the silence of their craft was the key to remaining undetected. In contrast this artwork is a whole-hearted embrace of the richly sonic world deep within the ocean. The artist will be bringing this auditory world to the surface in an immersive surround-sound experience, which will be located within the gallery.
Prior to the exhibition, the artist will be creating an ‘audio portrait’ of Singapore harbour by recording underwater acoustics, running the gamut from sonar to whalesong. This library of sounds will then be ‘composed’ as a virtual cartographic environment which invites the visitor to navigate space and simultaneously create a dynamic 3 dimensional soundscape.
A (very) early morning reef-walk with a crew of Marine Biologists.
This project employs the AudioNomad system to geo-spatially locate hydrophone recordings and other marine audio data, rendering this into a rich map-based composition that allows live ‘mixing’ in the form of Virtual marine journeys. AudioNomad is a collaborative Art + Science Research and development project between the artist (Sonic Objects: Sonic Architecture) and Dr Daniel Woo of the School of Computer Science and Engineering, at the University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia.
- The Oratorio for a Million Souls
- Two Islands
- The Deluge Ark(ive)
- A Dissimulation of Birds
- The Biological Mixer
- Heavy Metal
- CultCult - audio illumination from the Ocean
- BioLogging Retrofit
- BioPods_V2 The Nebuchadnezzar Suite
- Eine Kleine GeneMusiK
- Songs from the UnderWorld_v3
- Architecture for Bees; Bees for Architecture
- Breathless; Take a Deep Breath
- Public Art concepts
- Ars Memoriae Mexicana
- Float like a Butterfly; Sting like a Bee
- Supereste ut Pugnatis (Pugnatis) ut Supereste
- Songs from the UnderWorld_V2
- WYSSA - All my love darling
- Songs from the UnderWorld
- Milk and Honey
- Weeping Willow
- Bio_Logging and Under the IceCap
- New Host_V6
- Law of the Tongue
- Zephyr II
- Run Silent Run Deep
- Sculpture in the Vineyards
- WA Marine Facility ~ Ondes
- Quint de Loup II
- The Wireless House
- Talking Stick
- Syren for Port Jackson
- Factory Spirit.
- What Survives
- KellerRadioActive at IASKA
- Magnus Opus
- Preaching to the Converter
- Virtual Spirit
- AudioNomad + Syren
- An Unrequited Place
- Voyages from Eden to Utopia; Hercules
- The Transit of Venus
- A Symphony for Other Cultures
- The Lament
- Sonic Landscapes
- Siren Song
- Ship to Shore
- Re-Entry Vehicle; Natural Science in the Spirit World
- Naughty Apartment
- Mute in TalkTown; the sweet warm breath of science
- La Zona del Silencio
- Everything’s Nice with American Rice
- Silent Forest
- Dual-Nature (Ebb and Flow).
- Die Melodie der Welt; Bringing Home the Bacon
- Sample Content Of Radio Works as MP3
- Big Bell Beta
- Din: Ding, Dang, Dong
- GeneMusik – Sounds for Lower Life Forms