All of us have in our veins the exact
same percentage of salt in our blood
that exists in the ocean, and, therefore,
we have salt in our blood, in our sweat,
in our tears. We are tied to the ocean.
And when we go back to the sea – whether
it is to sail or to watch it – we are going
back from whence we came.
CultCult – audio illumination from the Ocean installed in the barn at Sao Luis.
This quote from J.F. Kennedy is a reminder and a caution that we share our fate with the health of our indifferent mother – the Ocean.
Fabienne recording in the Fishing harbour.
CultCult – audio illumination from the Ocean
Inverts our typical visual relationship with the sea and asks us instead to listen to a world of micro-sounds produced by countless small Crustacea who’s hard exoskeletons generate a constant cacophony of percussive activity.
Recorded in the Fishermans harbour near Villa Nova Milfontes the underwater soundscape in this installation forms a source of audio illumination that ‘shines’ down on captive ‘specimens’ who may have been part of the Great Pacific Gyre – our species toxic contribution to the Global Ocean.
This work was produced during the Cultivamos Cultura Bio-Art summer School, held in Sao Luis, Alentejo, Portugal August 2016.
Also read VoxAura on this theme.
- Sonus Maris; the concert!
- Sonique; the life and art of Dr Sonique (the Graphic Novel)
- Sonus Maris_V2
- The Past is our Future; The Future is our Past.
- Sounds and Sweet Airs
- Freeze Frame
- Scribbly Gum Suites
- Virtual talking in 2020
- Sonus Maris
- The Oratorio for a Million Souls
- Two Islands
- The Deluge Ark(ive)
- A Dissimulation of Birds
- The Biological Mixer
- Heavy Metal
- CultCult – audio illumination from the Ocean
- BioLogging Retrofit
- BioPods_V2 The Nebuchadnezzar Suite
- Eine Kleine GeneMusiK
- Songs from the UnderWorld_v3
- Architecture for Bees; Bees for Architecture
- Breathless; Take a Deep Breath
- Public Art concepts
- Ars Memoriae Mexicana
- Float like a Butterfly; Sting like a Bee
- Supereste ut Pugnatis (Pugnatis) ut Supereste
- Songs from the UnderWorld_V2
- WYSSA – All my love darling
- Songs from the UnderWorld
- Milk and Honey
- Weeping Willow
- Bio_Logging and Under the IceCap
- New Host_V6
- Law of the Tongue
- New York Drawings
- Zephyr II
- Run Silent Run Deep
- Sculpture in the Vineyards
- WA Marine Facility ~ Ondes
- Quint de Loup II
- The Wireless House
- Talking Stick
- Syren for Port Jackson
- Factory Spirit.
- What Survives
- KellerRadioActive at IASKA
- Magnus Opus
- Preaching to the Converter
- Virtual Spirit
- AudioNomad + Syren
- An Unrequited Place
- Voyages from Eden to Utopia; Hercules
- The Transit of Venus
- A Symphony for Other Cultures
- The Lament
- Sonic Landscapes
- Siren Song
- Ship to Shore
- Re-Entry Vehicle; Natural Science in the Spirit World
- Naughty Apartment
- Mute in TalkTown; the sweet warm breath of science
- La Zona del Silencio
- Everything’s Nice with American Rice
- Silent Forest
- Dual-Nature (Ebb and Flow).
- Die Melodie der Welt; Bringing Home the Bacon