LandFall is situated in the marina of Port Coogee, Western Australia and responds to the history of the wreck of the Omeo that lies close to the shore.
The Omeo was built in Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 1858 as an iron steamship, but was later converted to sail. She was lost in a storm on the Western Australian coast in 1905 and is now incorporated into an underwater trail.
Omeo seemed prone to near misses
Scan of the wreck site.
The project site
Landfall was developed as a passive kinetic wind activated, sculpture that resonates with the rigging and motion of a sailing vessel.
The work comprises three units mounted atop of vertical support columns. The two outer columns support a single vertical aerofoil capable of rotating 360 degrees, whilst the central column is surmounted by a two sets of foils, each configured in an “L” formation and which are capable of rotating 360 degrees about an axis at 45 degrees to the ground plane – in turn the entire assembly can rotate 360 degrees about the horizontal plane.
The work is designed to respond to wind movements and shifts, with the two outer units simply responding to wind direction (somewhat like a wind-vane).
whilst the central unit has a more complex movement resulting from the interaction of the two sets of foils which constantly attempt to ‘feather’ themselves. This behaviour guarantees that the work presents a low wind resistance profile and is in effect self regulating.
- The Oratorio for a Million Souls
- Two Islands
- The Deluge Ark(ive)
- A Dissimulation of Birds
- The Biological Mixer
- Heavy Metal
- CultCult – audio illumination from the Ocean
- BioLogging Retrofit
- BioPods_V2 The Nebuchadnezzar Suite
- Eine Kleine GeneMusiK
- Songs from the UnderWorld_v3
- Architecture for Bees; Bees for Architecture
- Breathless; Take a Deep Breath
- Public Art concepts
- Ars Memoriae Mexicana
- Float like a Butterfly; Sting like a Bee
- Supereste ut Pugnatis (Pugnatis) ut Supereste
- Songs from the UnderWorld_V2
- WYSSA – All my love darling
- Songs from the UnderWorld
- Milk and Honey
- Weeping Willow
- Bio_Logging and Under the IceCap
- New Host_V6
- Law of the Tongue
- Zephyr II
- Run Silent Run Deep
- Sculpture in the Vineyards
- WA Marine Facility ~ Ondes
- Quint de Loup II
- The Wireless House
- Talking Stick
- Syren for Port Jackson
- Factory Spirit.
- What Survives
- KellerRadioActive at IASKA
- Magnus Opus
- Preaching to the Converter
- Virtual Spirit
- AudioNomad + Syren
- An Unrequited Place
- Voyages from Eden to Utopia; Hercules
- The Transit of Venus
- A Symphony for Other Cultures
- The Lament
- Sonic Landscapes
- Siren Song
- Ship to Shore
- Re-Entry Vehicle; Natural Science in the Spirit World
- Naughty Apartment
- Mute in TalkTown; the sweet warm breath of science
- La Zona del Silencio
- Everything’s Nice with American Rice
- Silent Forest
- Dual-Nature (Ebb and Flow).
- Die Melodie der Welt; Bringing Home the Bacon
- Sample Content Of Radio Works as MP3
- Big Bell Beta
- Din: Ding, Dang, Dong
- GeneMusik – Sounds for Lower Life Forms